An attractive, prosperous downtown is vital to the economic well being and quality of life of the entire community:
• Downtown is an important shopping and service centre for the community.
• A large number of a community’s jobs are located downtown.
• Downtown properties account for a large portion of the municipality’s tax base. Higher downtown assessments lessen the need to raise property tax rates.
• Downtown buildings and infrastructure represent a vast amount of prior public and private sector investment.
• Downtown is a prime location for social, cultural and entertainment activities.
• An attractive historic downtown is powerful branding and marketing tool for attracting tourists, new residents and new businesses.
• A historic downtown embodies a community’s heritage, and shapes its identity and unique sense of place.
• An attractive, prosperous downtown is a source of civic pride that conveys a message of optimism and confidence in the future to residents and visitors.